Saturday, May 2, 2009

Network Discovery: NetBIOS, Accessing a PC via computer name

I received a request stating: "I am unable to connect to my computer by its name. I can't ping it, nor can I see it when I type "NET View".

You are able to access this computer by its name because of the default settings Vista has with its Firewall. Specifically, the Network Discovery Service, and\or the File and Print sharing components of Vista networking. These are blocked by default. To enable either of these, you must add these to the Windows Firewall Exception list.

  1. Click Start-> Control Panel -> Windows Firewall.
  2. Click "Change settings", in the right-pane.
  3. Click the Exceptions tab.
  4. Scroll down, and place a check mark next to:
    1. File and Print Sharing
    2. Network discovery service
  5. Click Ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment